Offline Marketing V/S Online Marketing

Exchange ideas on how to brand, promote and position your product and services. The majority of the time, they do not sell themselves!

Moderators: GT Bulmer, Evan, MichelleJ, drdony, Trent Brownrigg, Mal Tindle, David Hurley

Which marketing is more effective ?

Online Marketing
24%
Offline Marketing
14%
Both are important
62%

Total votes : 21

Re: Offline Marketing V/S Online Marketing

Postby Cre8ivDesign » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:43 pm

This is a difficult one and I suspect that their will never be a definitive answer only opinion based on business nature and client demographics.

Going back to the original post you referenced multinationals. They realise that if you have the budget and if you throw enough mud some will stick. The trick as I understand it, is to monitor and analyse your results and find what works best online or offline.

Take TV advertising, TV is a great medium for developing awareness just look at Compare The Meerkat, sorry Market. There are loads of online comparison sites but due to their anti marketing TV campaign this online business beats it's competitors primarily using offline marketing methods and a bit of Neuro Linguistic Programming.

However for other businesses affordable Pay Per Click campaigns can yield very hot leads that convert easily in to sales. Amazon are a great example of this, last month they spent out on 637,446 online adverts and seem to have stopped TV awareness campaigns, probably as rolling over advertising out lay on online advertising results in direct sales for them. The earlier TV ads seem to have built brand confidence and loyalty and now the online advertising is generating the sales.

The other benefit for online marketing is measurable results. I am sure that Amazon would know the exact value of one Pay Per click Ad in comparison to profit for average sales value. Giving them very predictable growth and budgeting through online advertising.

regards
Gavin :wink:
Affordable logo & Web Design for business http://www.cre8ivdesign.co.uk/web-design-for-business same business different marketing http://www.business-web-design-uk.co.uk/
Cre8ivDesign
Intern - Level 2

Favorite Business Book: Get to the Top on Google: David Viney
Favorite Entrepreneur: Chris Cardell
Favorite Business Quote: By working faithfully eight hours a day you may eventually get to be boss and work twelve hours a day.
What I Do: Gaphic and website design
Favorite Hobby: Chen Tai Chi & Microlighting

Postby Molly » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:16 am

I suppose when it comes to offline marketing, you actually have the chance to meet the potential customers in person. That is where you build up your trust when you are talking face to face.

For online marketing, you are expanding your strategies across the borders, so this is the advantage. Anyway, my view is both are equally important.
Molly

Re: Online vs Offline Promo

Postby lindamartin88 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:17 am

litekepr wrote:There are all kinds of variables to this question and a big one is the type of business. I know a lot of small business owners who do very well in their neighborhood (happens to be my neighborhood too) and online promotion would do little to nothing for them. Their reputation and customer base is built through their location and the local word of mouth. The mechanic that I deal with has built a wonderful reputation and I've sent hundreds of new customers over the years - an online presence would do little for him, but he has a phone book ad in both cities where he is located.

One the other hand, I promote almost exclusively online. I do freelance writing and promotional work for businesses and the internet gets me the exposure to a much wider audience and allows me to use online job sites. My book promotion is mostly online - and that compliments any off line promo that I do. I work with clients to decide the best way to promote and it is truly decided on a case by case basis. Lots of variables :)

Shri

Great post. You have summarized and categorized all of the business tracks that can be influenced by online and offline marketing. Than you for sharing.
lindamartin88
Intern - Level 2

Favorite Business Quote: As a small business person, you have no greater leverage than the truth. (John Greenleaf Whittier)

Postby Biiyke » Sun May 01, 2011 3:31 pm

It also depends on your geographical region. So considering this and my target traffic, I will lean more on offline marketing. Online marketing however will be very important for follow up.
I'll start off with Offline Marketing because that's where the "virgin" traffic is. A lot of people still don't know where to go besides facebook! :lol:
Biiyke
Newbie - Level 1

Favorite Business Book: "Who moved my Cheese?"
Favorite Entrepreneur: Richard Branson
Favorite Business Quote: Just do it
What I Do: Online Entrepreneur: www.naijayard.com
Favorite Hobby: Table Tennis

Postby tobuso » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:28 pm

I have to say that so far at least offline marketing is best for my business. I have started with some seo efforts but my google local traffic is non-existent and I am the B. position for most local search keywords.

I started the business going door to door B2B. I sold some. I leveraged my time with signs(guerrilla marketing style,) after that I switched to more above board mailers which got me good targeted calls from the customers I wanted. I also did telemarketing for appointments. Those appointments were not as good. The people at the telemarketer appointments seemed more rushed, less trusting, and less likely to convert. Incoming calls are the way to go. Get people calling you. Brand yourself with an online presence, radio presence, in-person(meet-ups, Chamber of commerce, ect...,) direct mail, billboards, and anything else that you can test and measure.
Philip Klinck
Merchant service credit card processor
P- 864-735-5366
F- 864-551-2582
We setup credit card processing accounts. Low Rates, Great Services.
Thermal Paper Rolls
Credit Card Processing Blog
tobuso
Employee - Level 3

Favorite Business Book: Millionaire Real Estate Agent
Favorite Entrepreneur: Mark Cuban
Favorite Business Quote: If you help enought people get what they want you will get what you want
What I Do: Credit card processing merchant services
Favorite Hobby: Fish

Postby GT Bulmer » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:55 pm

Hey, Philip:

Awesome insight and examples from your direct, personal experience! Great recommendations.

GT :)
GT Bulmer, Forum Administrator
- - - - -
How to Grow a Second Income
Home Business Resources
Build Your Brand
Personal Development
Buy & Sell Here: Over 2 Million Members | 98,800+ Items
GT Bulmer
Forum Admin

Favorite Business Book: Earl Nightingale's Greatest Discovery
Favorite Entrepreneur: Brian Tracy
Favorite Business Quote: It takes courage to push yourself to places that you have never been before... to test your limits... to break through barriers.
What I Do: Freelance Writer; Internet Home Business
Favorite Hobby: Reading ... almost every genre!

Postby freestylezz » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:13 pm

I would say it depends on a business. When the market is limited to local geography then the offline marketing is more important and when you're deal with global market then you must do online market to capture broader audience. Online marketing however is really really competitive, especially search engine marketing. You will be competing with the world for the top 10 google ranks and even the 10th ranked website generate less than 10% of the traffic for the keyword you want to compete for.
freestylezz
Newbie - Level 1

Favorite Business Book: GET SMARTER
Favorite Entrepreneur: Bill Gates
Favorite Business Quote: To open a shop is easy, to keep it open is an art
What I Do: I run a logo contest website; logoarena.com, to deliver LOGO DESIGN needs.
Favorite Hobby: BBM lol

Postby RobBright » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:13 pm

I think both are important but what most people forget is that the internet is just a medium for the mass distribution of a message when it comes to marketing, is it quicker and more easier for your potential customer to find you and easier to deliver stuff yes absolutely.

In terms of your marketing though, the distribution of the message is of no consequence if the message is not relevant and beneficial to the end user i.e your prospect.

If the message is in terms of you then no one will care and it will smack of just another advert, however if it is benefit laden and points to solving a specific problem you have highlited as existing within your target market you are now getting somewhere.

How you distribute that message, T.V radio, newspaper, facebook, youtube or articles etc is all just the same to an extent, the quality must be in the actual message itself
7 free videos show you the exact process needed to be successful online with your business http://www.robsimbootcamp.com
RobBright
Intern - Level 2

Favorite Business Book: 4 hour work week
Favorite Entrepreneur: Frank Kern
Favorite Business Quote: Look at what the masses are doing and then do the oppoosite
What I Do: Internet marketer passionate about helping others to succeed online and live life on their terms
Favorite Hobby: Golf

Postby GT Bulmer » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:16 pm

Great response, Rob. Well said. Thanks for sharing your insight and opinions.

GT :)
GT Bulmer, Forum Administrator
- - - - -
How to Grow a Second Income
Home Business Resources
Build Your Brand
Personal Development
Buy & Sell Here: Over 2 Million Members | 98,800+ Items
GT Bulmer
Forum Admin

Favorite Business Book: Earl Nightingale's Greatest Discovery
Favorite Entrepreneur: Brian Tracy
Favorite Business Quote: It takes courage to push yourself to places that you have never been before... to test your limits... to break through barriers.
What I Do: Freelance Writer; Internet Home Business
Favorite Hobby: Reading ... almost every genre!

Postby RM Mentor » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:50 am

Both are important and getting the mix right will help you dominate in your category. There are software services which integrate email marketing and offline marketing too.
Marilyn Madison
RM Mentor
http://RenegadeMillionaireVideos.com
RM Mentor
Intern - Level 2

Favorite Business Book: No BS Wealth Attraction For Entrepreneurs By Dan S Kennedy
Favorite Entrepreneur: Richard Branson
Favorite Business Quote: You'll always get what you want if you help others get what they want
What I Do: Renegade Millionaire Mentor
Favorite Hobby: Technology

Postby carol brin » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:48 am

Yes I also think so that the both are important to promote a business but If we compare it to each other than online is more important than offline because offline marketing just promote your company at local level (Exceptionally country level) but online marketing promotes a business at GLOBAL level.
carol brin
Employee - Level 3

Favorite Business Quote: There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.
What I Do: Online Marketing
Favorite Hobby: Computing

Previous

Return to Sales and Marketing